Suggestions on setting out your paragraphs for your two pieces
• Name of the piece
• Name of the composer
Paragraph 1 – Historical context
• Name and dates of the historical period the piece was written.
• Main characteristics of music from this period.
• What types of pieces were written during this period?
• Who are some other famous musicians/composers from this period?
Paragraph 2 – The composer/Song-writer
• Full name and dates of the composer.
• Where were they born, where did they mainly live, and where did they die?
• What is this composer most famous for – what other kinds of pieces did he/she compose.
• Name at least two famous pieces by this composer.
• Was this composer influenced by any other composers/musicians OR did he/she influence other people?
Paragraph 3 – Detailed information about the piece
• What type of piece is it – give a definition. Is this piece from a larger collection/album?
• What year was the piece written?
• What is the form of the piece; what is the key and time signature?
• If this is a song, what are the lyrics about, briefly describe the story and mood of the piece.
• How did you learn this piece, why did you choose it?
• What skills have you developed or improved whilst learning this piece?
• What is the main thing you have to remember to do when performing this piece? How are you going to achieve this?